Thursday 24 January 2013

Gluten free fruit cake and SNOW

We didn't get any snow in plymouth, so we went to dartmoor to find some....

And I made that gluten free cake. It was a bit dense, and sour (since I did a lemon drizzle topping)

Recipe:


  1. Soak 500g of dried fruit (mix of whatever you like - I had apricots, sultanas, peel, dried raspberries, currents) in a big bowl with 600ml of boiling water and 3 tea bags. I used 2 PG tips and 1 oolong tea bag.
  2. Leave overnight. Go to the pub, don't worry about baking hungover; it's easy as hell, go have some fun.
  3. In the morning, remove the tea bags, and mix in 200g of sugar. I used granulated because I am poor.
  4. Crack an egg in, and mix.
  5. Spice it up with whatever you have in the kitchen. My weapons of choice were cinnamon and lemon rind.
  6. Mix in 250g of gluten free flour. I didn't see the need to sift.
  7. Bake at 170 C for about an hour. Test its 'done-ness' by inserting a metal skewer/knife and see if it comes out clean.
  8. Give it 5 in the tin, but while it is warm, stab it a fair amount of times, then drizzle on the icing - juice of one lemon mixed with about 100g of granulated sugar. Using granulated gives it a great crunch. 


Points:
Housemate envy: 6/10 (There isn't any left, but that might have been because there was a lot of us, and the snow makes you want to eat lots of cake. People thought it was an interesting thing - lots of questions)
Presentation points: 8/10 (Forgot to take a bloody pic of it whole. It was a bunt cake, which makes cake easier for picnics as there's no wispy bit in the middle to crumble.)
Yummy points: 7/10 (It's hard to judge as it was a bloody weird cake. But I had a fair bit as it was good enough for me.)


I also went to Exeter last night to see my friend Mary play, which was fab.


Thar be snow!

Had a play with photoshop to collage this great jump...
...and this one.

find out more on http://wordsbymaryjane.wordpress.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment