Wednesday 25 July 2012

Home - String art

I found myself not wanting to go to the gym this morning, so instead I found inspiration from College Life DIY 's fantastic string art typography. I didn't know what to put on it really, so I trawled the quotations page until I found this:

Home is where the heart is, so your real home's in your chest. 

Joss Whedon, Zack Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, and Jed WhedonDr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, 2008
This appealled to me on a few levels

  • Word Play - for other great puns see my favourite illustrator Gemma Correll 
  • I'm at a stage right now where my home, friends, possessions and life are split and displaced, so this quote just shouted at my soul.
  • It's slightly morbid and overly practical - reminding us that we are human. 
Any way, I took the last four words, Home's in Your Chest, and hammered into a plank the outlines of the letters, then went crazy with cotton thread.

The nails in the board, before string, making no sense at all.

The 'finished' product. the 'IN" worked the best I think.
 Some of the letters were off, and maybe I should have painted the board first, but I was in one of those passionate desperate rushes to get into it, so I didn't want to wait for paint. I think I will add some more colour to it by going over the string again with some different coloured thread.

I might try to do the olympic rings in this fashion - how cool would that look?

Hope everyone's enjoying the sun!



No comments:

Post a Comment